Pick up Sticks

Pick up Sticks

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Wheelchairs and Early Morning Laughter

If I could transport to only one place, it would be a Barnes and Noble. Now I realize that it would be in best interest to choose a place like my own home or one of the gorgeous countries in Europe. But I don't want to. All I want is a cup of coffee, a pile of interesting books, and people to look at. I focused most of my attention to a trendy sort of man sitting in a wheelchair across from me. I like him. He is paging through a couple of fashion magazines but does not seem at all interested. And he, like me, is watching the chattering crowd.
I wonder how he got in that chair. At first, a crazy thought jumped into my mind: what if he is faking it. What if he is wheeling around just so he can survey the reactions to his "unfortunate state." Then I came to my senses.

Enough of this. Last night, Matt Brown read aloud to Robbs and I. I'm not sure why he did but I am quite glad he chose to do so. What did he read? The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson. Matt, though plagued by a nasty cold, managed to read 7 or 8 excerpts which drove me to tears. Laughing tears. Bill spoke about his childhood in a poignant and hilarious way. Please read it as soon as possible. I will leave you with the beginning line of the book. “I come from Des Moines. Somebody had to.” I know you are intrigued.

The Eraser- Thom Yorke (and/or) Amnesiac-Radiohead

p.s. I tried to insert a picture to make things interesting. I can't do it.

3 comments:

  1. 1. You have a blog. This is wonderful.
    2. I can completely resonate with your coffeeshop/B&N teleportation desires.
    3. It should be noted that I was listening to "There is a Fountain Filled with Blood" as I was reading. I found it quite ironic/awesome when I read the post below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah. Those situations are some of the best. Like when you are thinking about the word "gaggle" and then you see it on a billboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would simply be the coolest.

    PS: Cracking knuckles is one of your favorite things?! I don't know if we can be friends anymore.

    ReplyDelete