Pick up Sticks

Pick up Sticks

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Why I like Coffee

As I first typed the title to this blogpost, I immediately thought about my high-school days. This is not because I wrote essays about coffee, or even because I enjoy sentences including the word "why" without a question mark at the end. It is because of Oration day. Everyone student at Dayspring Christian Academy had to write their own oration defending topics ranging from "Providence of God through History" to "Insects are Scary: Here is Why." (2nd Time!) My favorite orations were preformed by the 1st-4th graders. They were always some variation on the theme "God is also Jesus." The oration was just a bunch of facts smooshed into a three point outline but golly did those children make me chuckle.

Now... to coffee!

The following piece of information is not easy for me to admit: I started drinking coffee because my friends drank coffee. And by "my friends" i mean, of course, Peter. I saw him start his coffee journey and envied him. He was so intensely awesome for enjoying that chalk tasting drink. The following is a conversation that i am making up but probably happened. I will call it "How I started drinking coffee"

Myself- "Man, that Peter sure likes that coffee."

A friend we will call Archibold- "I know. He even drinks it black. Without cream and sugar. And he likes it!"

Me- Well yeah.

Archibold- "Wow. He is so cool. Don't you wish you were as cool as him?"

I- "What do you mean?... I drink coffee black."

Archibold-Oh yeah? Prove it.

It was then and there that I drank my first cup of black coffee. It tasted like garbage but I managed to consume it with a straight face. Archie left looking rather impressed and I like I was going to vomit.

Then I started actually liking coffee. It took time but after a while I thought to myself, "Well whatdya know, I think i am enjoying this." Fast forward to modern day right now, and you will see my drinking about three cups a day. It started out as a ploy to be as cool a Peter... and though thats part of it, I now cannot go a day without that mug of caffeinated goodness. Think twice before you start.

Amsterdam by Coldplay or your favorite coffee song.

No comments:

Post a Comment