Pick up Sticks

Pick up Sticks

Friday, January 29, 2010

Freedom (<--say it like a gospel choir would)

Getting out of math class twenty-five minutes early makes you feel alive. I think everyone should take a math class so they can experience this joy. Instead of questioning which are prime or natural numbers, I can struggle through a set of much more interesting questions:

Should I read Calvin and Hobbs or National Geographic?
Should I listen to Phil Keaggy or The Fleet Foxes?
Should I eat this box of pop tarts or just one?
Should I draw a picture of a smartly dressed alien or a piano-bird?
Should I do my Greek homework or do my napping homework?

Actually, I guess life increases in complexity outside of math class. Instead of a kind, deaf old man sitting in front of me telling me what to write, I have in front of me the world. and we live in a big world.

I realized last night the enormity of the world. At very early o'clock in the morning, I walked outside to get away from people. This is not because I do not love the people. I just needed some quiet.

I started looking at the moon. It was blindingly bright so much so that I could barely believe it. I started thinking about how far away from me it was. But dad gum it, It looks so close. Then I walked back back to my room feeling smaller and smaller. The whole trip back my eyes were glued to the moon.

x. If you wish to dance- Little Secrets by Passion Pit
y. If you wish to cry- Smile by Chris Rice
z. If you wish to be nestalgic- Listen to a musician you used to love.

2 comments:

  1. How can you draw a piano-bird? :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, so your adventure outside early in the morning sounds awesome. A couple times I have went outside late at night, and watched the stars (during warmer weather). but it's so incredibly awesome. And I agree, life is much more complex outside of math class, in a good way.
    (p.s. I'm waiting for songs from the artist Stephen Bates to appear at the end of your posts, hopefully I can hear some of those new songs soon)

    ReplyDelete