Pick up Sticks

Pick up Sticks

Friday, January 1, 2010

Loud

Posting twice in the span one day seems like overkill. But I gotta talk about this.

I just finished watching the Documentary called "It Might Get Loud."
Three guys: Jack White from the White Stripes, Jimmy Paige from Led Zepplin, and The Edge from U2. They all got together and talked about electric guitars and their musical backgrounds. I am so happy I was allowed to watch.

Jack particularly impressed me. He plays beat up no-name guitars made of plastic that rarely stay in tune. He could most certainly afford a room full of expensive guitars but all he wants is the beat up Silvertone. Jack said music for him is a struggle because he wants it to be so. His lyrics and music flow from discontent and difficulty. He wants to work for it!

I think most people (including myself sometimes) believe music is the easy way out. If you become a professional musician, your life should be easier. Tonight, Jack told me differently and it made me glad. As I watched this movie, I realized it was one of those times. One of those open-eyed times.

In one scene, Jack White is seen strumming a guitar so hard that blood is covering his hand and his guitar. But his face seemed to say otherwise. I saw a smirk which said, "I'm getting it." It was beautiful.

Any White Stripes Album.

No comments:

Post a Comment